Antalya, located in the Mediterranean Region, is considered the capital of tourism in our country. Its history dates back 5000 years, so it is a region that has hosted many different civilizations. Antalya is located at the west end of the Mediterranean Region and surrounded by Muğla, Burdur, Isparta, Konya, Karaman, and Mersin. On the south side is the Mediterranean seaside region, where the country’s most important tourism centers are located.
Climate and Local Cuisine
Antalya has a typical Mediterranean climate. You can find warm weather all seasons of the year. In the summer, the average temperature is between 35-40 degrees.
Even in winter, the city has a temperate climate and the sea is around 17-18 degrees. Especially during May and October, there is a very busy period in terms of tourism.
The local cuisine consists of Mediterranean, Aegean, and Southern cuisine. Pastries, meat dishes, herbs, and vegetables are served in rich dishes. Thyme soup, hibe, piyaz, Arabic kadayif, kavurma, kölle, eggplant cive, and tandır kebab are among the local delicacies. As a sweet treat, you can try aburcin dessert, bergamot molasses, citrus jam, eggplant jam, and natural flavors made from fruits and vegetables of the region. Tarhana soup prepared with herbs and vegetables of the region is also very delicious.
Places to Visit
For the sea and the sun, many different bays and beaches await you in Antalya city center and districts. Also, there are ancient cities, historic ruins, and important buildings in Antalya. Antalya, which is spread over a wide area in a geographic sense, is a tourism resort that can keep you busy with many different activities.
- Kaleiçi: The place where historic houses are located in Antalya is also a shopping center. The houses remain from the Ottoman period, and the shops with stone walls provide an authentic atmosphere. You can also find many different options for nightlife.
- Aspendos: The ancient theater of Aspendos, located in the Serik district of Antalya, was built by the Romans in the 2nd century BC. The theater, located in the ancient city of Aspendos, is able to host a variety of events today.
- Side Ancient City: Located between Antalya and Manavgat, Side is the 7th century artwork before Christ. The traces of the Lycian and Persian civilizations are here. The Temple of Apollo, overlooking the sea, is an important work of choice for photographers, especially in the southern part of the ancient city. You will also find Agora, old houses, and baths.
- Beldibi Cave: Tunnels in the Kemer district of Antalya are very interesting with their stalactites and stalagmites.
- Karain Cave: This cave fills an important gap in Anatolian archaeological studies with traces of settlement from the Lower Paleolithic to the late Roman period.
- Ancient City of Patara: The capital of the Lycian period, Patara was built in the 8th century before Christ and is a harbor city.
- Köprülü Canyon: Köprülü Canyon is a beautiful area that welcomes rafting enthusiasts and offers many different opportunities for nature walks.
- Olympos Ancient City: The city which was built during the Roman period in the 1st century BC, is located in a beautiful geographical location and is a must-see spot in Antalya.
- Düden Waterfalls
- Manavgat Waterfalls
- Kurşunlu Waterfalls
- Santa Claus Church
- Kaş: A holiday district in Antalya, famous for Kaputaş Beach, Kekova, Saklıkent Canyon, Kaleköy, Xantos Ancient City, and Hidayet Bay.
- Kemer: Another holiday town of Antalya. You should visit Phaselis Antique City, Beydağları Olympos National Park, Tahtalı Beach, Yanartaş, Üçoluk Plateau, and Yörük Park.
- Alanya: In this holiday resort of Antalya, you can visit important and beautiful places such as Alanya Castle, Kızıl Tower, Dim Cave, Phosphorous Cave, Damlataş Beach, İncekum Beach, and Kleopatra Beach.
Since Antalya is a tourism city, it also hosts many festivals. The International Antalya Piano Festival is held in October. The Aspendos International Opera and Ballet Festival, held every year in September, is a widely-participated event. Antalya Golden Orange Film Festival has increased its popularity in recent years with its sensational aspect. You can also find other activities such as the Manavgat Film Festival and the International Antalya Sand Festival.